On February 20, 1959, a group of employees at the Waynesboro plant of E. I. DuPont de Nemours founded Waynesboro DuPont Employees Credit Union, Inc. They recognized a void and created something better for the employees who needed it most. Through the years, we have carefully expanded our cooperative with our most significant change coming in 1997 when we adopted a community charter, moving away from only offering credit union membership to select employer groups. As we celebrate our 60th year, let’s look back at some key milestones along the way.
- 1959 - A group of employees at the Waynesboro plant of E. I. DuPont de Nemours founded Waynesboro DuPont Employees Credit Union, Inc.
- 1962 - The credit union hired our first full-time employee.
- 1972 - Opened new office at DuPont plant site.
- 1985 - Opened first branch not on plant property – West Main.
- 1989 - First ATM and Automatic Response Teller (ART) introduced.
- 1993 - Field of membership expanded to include more Select Employer Groups.
- 1997 - Adopted community charter and membership opened to Augusta County and the cities of Waynesboro and Staunton.
- 2002 - Field of membership expanded to include cities of Harrisonburg, Lexington, and Buena Vista; counties of Rockingham, Bath, Highland, and Rockbridge.
- 2004 - Field of membership expanded to include Shenandoah County.
- 2016 - DCCU welcomed the City of Winchester and counties of Clarke, Frederick, Page, and Warren into our field of membership.
- 2018 - Membership reached 99,000.
DCCU was founded as a way to offer a better banking alternative. Caring about people is the framework on which we were built. Today, we continue that mission as we help improve the financial health of our members and the communities we serve.